‘Mate you’re on fireplace!’: Ōtāhuhu native battles garbage truck blaze with backyard hose

An Ōtāhuhu native armed with a backyard hose leapt into motion this morning as a garbage truck drove previous his residence on fireplace.

Daniel Smith, “born and raised” within the South Auckland suburb, was having his morning espresso along with his mum out on his deck when an Auckland Council garbage truck drove previous his residence.

“I noticed the truck coming spherical, thought ‘oh that’s a little bit of condensation’ however then I noticed a little bit of flames popping out, and simply began yelling to the motive force ‘hey mate you’re on fireplace!’”

The large pile of rubbish dumped by the truck. Photo / Daniel Smith
The massive pile of garbage dumped by the truck. Picture / Daniel Smith

Smith instructed the Herald his mum grabbed the backyard hose, and the following minute he was out on the road, battling the flames as greatest he may.

“I used to be on the market in my dressing robe and every part!”.

He stated the hose didn’t have a lot strain behind it, however it was higher than nothing.

“Positively a special type of morning!”

The truck driver instantly dumped the load of garbage on to the road and jumped out to help Smith in extinguishing the flames utilizing a hearth extinguisher.

Shortly afterwards, Hearth and Emergency companies turned up and put the fireplace out.

FENZ shift supervisor Lauren Sika confirmed they’d attended the fireplace shortly earlier than 7am, and extinguished it by 7.25am.

A spokesperson for Auckland Council stated the fireplace had doubtless been began by a lithium-ion battery which was incorrectly disposed of – “probably in a vape pen”.

“The driving force is okay and unhurt. Our drivers are well-trained to take care of emergencies of this type. When alerted to the fireplace, usually after they see smoke within the hopper, they then must discover a secure place to tip the garbage out and name Hearth and Emergency to extinguish the fireplace.”

A contractor had been despatched out to clear the dumped-out garbage from the road.

Check Also

Burn ban in effect in Front Royal and Warren County | Winchester Star

Burn ban in impact in Entrance Royal and Warren County | Winchester Star

Resulting from dry circumstances, all open air burning all through Entrance Royal and Warren County …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *